Laura Carter

Laura Carter

Tuesday 4 May 2010

Recent Exhibition in College Cafe.

I recently took a look at the exhibition that was taking place in the mosaic cafe in college. There was a group show on of artists who had been working around the college for several months and we had gotten to know a couple of them through working in the plaster workshop on a daily basis.

I was intregued by the way that this piece had been displayed, just simply by balancing them on a metal rod just crudely screwed to the wall. Somehow it seemed to suit this way of being displayed however odd it appeared. I was trying to think of how else these pieces could have been displayed and thought about perhaphs stacking them like a brick wall.


The spaceship piece had clearly had a lot of time and effort put into building and painting the spaceship and the level of detail on the spaceman inside was quite impessive. The projection piece inside was very difficlut to make out though, I couldn't decide whether this was because of the shape of the screen or because the room behind wasn't dark enough. Perhaphs the artist intended the video to be hard to see.

I had seen this piece in its upright form, as a teepee not too long before the exhibition. However the whole thing seemed to have died a little. I wasn't sure if this was intentional or not, but from the drawings along side the piece it showed it in an upright form so I guessed it hadn't meant to be this way. There was something strangely intreguing about the thing as it was though, I wanted to peer to see if anyone was trapped underneath. I hope me and Ruth are not faced with this kind of situation at our exhibition, packing will be essential.

The fish tank was my favourite piece at this exhibition. I was viewing this piece on a really sunny day and this helped to enhance the light and dark of the gravel giving off an amazing pink glow. Larna had chosen the perfect spot for this type of piece, it really was site specific due to the whole glass box thing like that of the fish tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment